Pam Cipriano, the Dean of the School of Nursing and the Sadie Heath Cabaniss Professor of Nursing, joined On-Air with UVA to discuss “Lessons in Resilience and Wellbeing.” Building on lessons learned from her distinguished nursing and academic career, Dean Pam Cipriano shared thoughts and insights into how we can learn from the techniques health professionals utilize for resilience and wellbeing in our own lives.
The UVA School of Nursing’s curriculum is founded in the belief that self-care practices, comprised of purposeful activities that reduce stress and build resilience, are critical for personal health and wellness. While 2020 has proven to be a tumultuous time for everyone, with disruptions in all aspects of our daily lives, during these times, we must care for ourselves so that we can effectively care for others.
If you would like to learn even more, here are some UVA resources and classes:
- School of Nursing Alliance for Compassionate Care—Compassionate Care Initiative
- School of Medicine Mindfulness Center
- Contemplative Sciences Center
- Resources for Nurses to support mental health, prevent burnout, promote wellbeing: American Nurses Association
- Resources for Physicians on burnout and wellbeing: American Medical Association
- National Academy of Medicine, Action Collaborative on Clinician Well-being and Resilience Resources for clinicians, especially during COVID