In this 2017 Virginia Festival of the Book program,... Find out more »
Loaves and Fishes Food Pantry
The UVA Club of Charlottesville is a community club, regardless of your affiliation with the University of Virginia. You are only a short click away from being a part of a vibrant community that is passionate for the University.
The UVA Club of Charlottesville invites all friends of UVA, including, but not limited to, area alumni, to get involved and join us for our upcoming events and programs. If you are new to town and realize that you would like to be involved in special events that only the UVA Club of Charlottesville offers, please join our local club for a nominal annual fee. You will meet many people in the greater Charlottesville/Albemarle area who you have an appreciation for UVA and its critically important role in the community in which it thrives.
UVA Club of Charlottesville hosts a series of educational, networking, athletic, charitable and social events such as:
- Several high-profile programs during the year raise funds to support the Jefferson Scholars Program at UVA, whose funds go to provide a qualifying central Virginia student the opportunity to receive one of the coveted Jefferson Scholarships.
- The sponsorship of an annual July reception for area students and their parents, seeking to help support these students early and often.
The UVA Club of Charlottesville no longer has “members” who pay membership dues. Instead, everyone is a member and the Club’s events will be open to all. For those events for which the Club charges a fee to attend or participate, it will be a single price, rather than one price for non-members and a discounted price for members. Instead of paying a membership fee, the Club will instead be seeking donations from its supporters. This change-over will have one major change – the previous “membership fees” will be replaced by (hopefully) your donations, which will be fully tax-deductible.
- Get Involved
Cavalier Admissions Liaisons
Can you remember back to the days of going though college brochures? The overwhelming experience of going to college open houses and taking tours? Do you remember the joy and relief when you got your letter of acceptance?
Would you like to be part of seeing that happen for another generation of Blue and Orange right here in Charlottesville?
The UVA Club of Charlottesville has a committee, dedicated to attracting the highest quality students in the Charlottesville/Albemarle region to consider the University of Virginia as their primary college choice. Cavalier Admissions Liaisons work with the local high schools and the UVA Admission Office to identify these students and help them make the wisest decision for college.
Key responsibilities of this Committee:
- Identify local, top-level junior student at each school who meets the prestigious Jefferson Book Award criteria
- Present the Jefferson Scholars Award, a financial scholarship given to the student demonstrating exceptional potential in the areas of leadership, scholarship, and citizenship
- Plan the annual summer “Send Off” party at UVA Alumni Hall for all local incoming students and their parents
- Extend telephone congratulations to local students accepted by the University
To put this committee in position to recruit the best and the brightest from right here at home, we need 2 additional members on the committee to help us make the connections that will make a difference.
If interested, please contact Sydney Tenhundfeld at email@example.com.
The Social Committee offers members the opportunity to participate in many types of events and activities that offer fellowship, fun, cultural enrichment and education. The goal is to hold one event each month open to members and their guests. These include activities such as:
- Parties, holiday celebrations, happy hours, wine tastings and other social events
- Get togethers to view UVA sporting events
- Book club meetings and discussions with local authors, including UVA faculty members
- Excursions to local attractions such as museums, cultural performances, historic sites and area festivals
- Speaker events featuring guest speakers and/or UVA faculty and staff
In addition to attending Club events, members are invited to join the Social Committee and/or to help support various social activities. For example, volunteers are needed to help organize events by contacting speakers, attractions, authors, etc., arranging venues for the events, sending out invitations, procuring refreshments as needed, and, as always, welcoming members and guests to all events. The time commitment should be minimal – a one-hour monthly meeting to plan the Social Committee events, then approximately one hour to coordinate the events as noted previously. And of course, we hope you will attend the events as well!
If interested, please contact Nancy Staub at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Links
University of Virginia links:
UVA Home Page
UVA Podcasts and Webcasts
UVA Educational Engagement
Alumni, Parents & Friends Calendar
What’s Next? – A resource for young alumni –
For more information, please contact John Pond (CLAS ’15, ED ’16), Assistant Director for Alumni and Parent Engagement, at email@example.com or 804-840-7542.